Re: Proposal to add /usr/bin/shquote

"Andy Shevchenko" <> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Aleksej Saushev <>
> wrote:
>>> Try to install NetBSD once to be sure how many components are included
>>> to 'base' system and what we have with their.
>> TCL is small enough to handle that.
> I don't think there is a good idea to go to TCL or something else due
> to somebody who likes it.

Is ad hoc wrapping of string processing functions better?
Why shquote is the only one?

>> Note, that in such case you usually don't need sh, csh, and many accompanying
>> utilities, which are needed for those user shells.
> Interesting to see system w/o /bin/test, f.e. (especialy in SUSv3 mode).

First you talked about small environments, tell me, what is
better to check strings for equality, /bin/test or just use
string comparison without exec and command line parsing overhead?

Not to talk about such a crafty standard as SUS.