Re: RFC: Going the LDAP/Kerberos way with NetBSD.

On 29 Apr 2008, at 18:39, Anders Magnusson wrote:
Let the {s}pwd.db stuff die ...

I don't think that is a good idea, see below.
Note that {s}pwd.db has nothing to do with yp.

I know. I just think that using files rather than any kind of directory server is something
which should still be possible.

For ypserv, there are two things:
- Move the old ypserv goo to pkgsrc.

That is probably a reasonable approach.

- Provide yp compat for ldap. Simple and clean, and especially good in a migrating environment.

You mean something like the YP server frontend to an LDAP database in Solaris?
That's a good idea.

Of course, that's one of my points (even though it may not have been so clear). If the ldap server is not started things will just read the old files as always.

I'm not sure whether I like that. Such clever hacks tend to backfire badly.

        Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                           http://zhadum.org.uk/