Re: /stand and /altroot

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 03:09:23PM +0100, Alaric Snell-Pym wrote:
> My theory is that /altroot could be the mountpoint of an alternate
> root partition

Yes.

> while /stand is something of a distant ancestor of /rescue

Not really.  Standalone programs are ones that are not just statically
linked, but which run without a kernel.  They're not really used on
PC's, but other ports do use/offer them.

> However, both seem pretty vestigial these days.

No.

> /altroot, I think, dates to a time when bootable CD-ROMs unheard of

It's not just the ability to boot (you may often need this if you
hosed your bootblocks too), it's the ability to have the
previous-version of your /, including /etc.

> Is it worth removing them from hier(7) and base.tgz, which I presume
> is what creates them, in the name of a simpler base system?

No.

--
Dan.