Re: 64 bit time_t changes

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:19:23PM +0900, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:39:19PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> > First, currently, shared libs aren't linked with -lc when they're
> > built, so no dependency is recorded; thus one can't readily tell which
> > library images go with which libc versions. Worse, because of this,
> > after a libc bump a newly compiled program linked against an old
> > library and new libc will be silently invalid.
>
> This is a bug in my opinion and I want to adress this.

Given the way that elf symbols are lookup up, nothing you can do
will help.

There is a basic assumption the any program will request libc.
All the libraries loaded at program load time (ie excluding those
opened with dlopen) effectively generate a single symbol table.
So having a NEEDED entry in a .so for a specific version of libc
just won't help.

Of course, if you rename all the changed symbols then you get
different copies - but they might as well be in single libc.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost