Re: Generic boot image support in makefs(8)

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 04:01:26PM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
> On Jun 12,  9:41am, David Young wrote:
> } On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 11:20:11AM -0800, John Nemeth wrote:
> } >      BTW, while on this subject, I'm wondering why hp700 can't use the
> } > makefs -o bootimage=sysid:filename syntax that other systems use?
> }
> } AFAIK, there are not magic numbers defined for hp700.
>
>      "sysid" here isn't to have a magic number, but to tell makefs what
> type of bootcode it is setting up so that it puts the code in the right
> place on the CD and does whatever else may be needed to make the disk
> bootable on that platform.

Ah.  I see what you mean.  I just brought it up because -o bootimage
presently uses a particular mechanism that is defined by an ISO9660
extension which provides for only a few architectures.  There is no
reason the mechanism should not be chosen based on the sysid.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24