Subject: Re: NetBSD-specific GPT partition types
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz@dezsieben.kh-22.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/30/2007 16:36:08
Trevor Talbot wrote:

> identifiers. UUIDs are, if properly generated, guaranteed to be
> globally unique, even though they are generated without the benefit of
> a central registration service. RFC 4122 documents the format,
> although it originally comes from other standards.

Out of curiosity I had a look at the mentioned RFC and found that there
is a (suggested) registration authority

  http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/asn1/uuid.html

They can generate a UUID for you and in case you think it necessary you can
also register it.
While ITU seems mainly concerned with ASN1 object identifiers, might it
not be advisable to register Jeff's UUIDs as OIDs anyway, perhaps for
future use in SNMP MIBs?

ciao
     Klaus