Subject: non-relevant rant (Was: Re: NetBSD-specific GPT partition types)
To: Trevor Talbot <quension@gmail.com>
From: None <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/29/2007 22:58:38
--huq684BweRXVnRxX

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 02:51:47PM -0800, Trevor Talbot wrote:
> On 12/29/07, jakllsch@kollasch.net <jakllsch@kollasch.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 02:56:26PM -0800, Trevor Talbot wrote:
>=20
> > > In case it's not obvious to anyone following this thread, the entire
> > > point of GUID Partition Table is that it uses UUIDs (aka GUIDs) as
> > > identifiers. UUIDs are, if properly generated, guaranteed to be
> > > globally unique, even though they are generated without the benefit of
> > > a central registration service. RFC 4122 documents the format,
> > > although it originally comes from other standards.
> > >
> > > They aren't arbitrary numbers.
>=20
> > Tell that to Apple.
>=20
> I probably missed a thread. What did Apple do?

See Appendix A of the EFI 1.10 spec, as well as the Intel WfM spec
it references for the specification of the GUID.

Then, look at the OS X section of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table#Partition_type_GUIDs

Have the hexadecimal table from ascii(7) handy.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--