Subject: Re: mounting by wedge name
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
From: Matt Fleming <mjf@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/24/2007 14:35:37
On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 01:49:53PM -0800, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> Iain Hibbert wrote:
> > I don't know if this is pertinent, but I saw some rumour about a devfs in
> > the works that would enable you to force certain devices to certain slots.
> >
> > Would that handle generically what this does specifically or is that a
> > different issue?
> >
> > iain
> >

> Depending on the scope of the devfs, it might well solve this problem.
> However, I am neither the person working on devfs, nor am I privy to
> whatever progress is or isn't being made.  So, rather than wait
> indefinitely for something that may not happen, I'm trying to work with
> what we've currently got.

I'm working on devfs for my dissertation at university, so I assure you
it will happen ;-) Yes, the device naming issues will be handled with
devfs. I'm aiming for the project to be finished by the end of March.
The devfs code is being developed on my mjf-devfs branch. I'll post to
tech-kern when I've made some substantial progress.

--mjf