Subject: Re: mounting by wedge name
To: Iain Hibbert <>
From: Jeff Rizzo <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/23/2007 13:49:53
Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
>> I've been working on various things lately to improve the state of
>> wedges and wedge-related things - one of the (valid) complaints is that
>> there is no way to 'nail down' wedge configuration currently.
> I don't know if this is pertinent, but I saw some rumour about a devfs in
> the works that would enable you to force certain devices to certain slots.
> Would that handle generically what this does specifically or is that a
> different issue?
> iain

Depending on the scope of the devfs, it might well solve this problem.
However, I am neither the person working on devfs, nor am I privy to
whatever progress is or isn't being made.  So, rather than wait
indefinitely for something that may not happen, I'm trying to work with
what we've currently got.

Certainly, I could see devfs removing the need for a lot of this - which
would make me happy.  Meanwhile...