Subject: Re: Savecore Complexity Questions
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/10/2007 18:37:09
On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 09:31:23AM -0800, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	Hello.  I think the reason for all that complexity is because there is
> no guarantee that a very stale core image won't be erased from the swap
> partition during subsequent runs after the actual crash.

Savecore overwrites the core magic ID after a succesfull dump, so that is
no problem.

I don't know what the original intend of the (few bits of) kvm grovelling
inside the core dump are, but I think there are a few bits of information
that the current core format/header do not provide but savecore (for the
current format) needs - if the new format does not need that, fine, skip the
kvm access.

A mismatch of the version string only causes a warning, btw.

Martin