Subject: Re: Compiling NetBSD with another compiler.
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles.lean@pobox.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/12/2007 09:18:22
Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov@tut.by> wrote:

> I whould be great to see pcc, lcc and tcc workable in NetBSD 4 release.
> Can you backport all these changes to NetBSD-4 branch?

Er, the users of the netbsd-4 branch might prefer not: once
it's released, that branch is supposed to be relatively
stable and suitable for production use.

What benefit to /users/ of the is there in back porting those
changes?  (Nevermind that considerable work might be
involved: notice that even just new gcc versions have a small
ripple effect through the code.)

Being able to use multiple compilers is/will be a good thing,
but it's a feature of interest to developers.  I think
-current is where it belongs.

Remember too that build.sh should allow building of -current
on NetBSD 4.0 or even non-NetBSD systems, so the restriction
is not as onerous as it might seem at first.

Cheers,

Giles