Subject: Re: Use of .a as a source file extension causes cvs import issues
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/11/2007 07:35:22
On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 12:27:33PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > We have a file with extension .a in our source tree, "bin/csh/USD.doc/csh.a".
> > This clashes with cvs import's default ignore list and will cause trouble
> > for those importing NetBSD into their own repositories.
>
> Doesn't everybody use "cvs import -I\! -ICVS" when importing a CVS
> checkout into another CVS repository?

The use of .a as an extension breaks import of a CVS *export* into another
CVS repository, which is the other common (and often faster) way to do it.

No, I don't know what the rationale is for the default ignore list including
 .a -- but there's no real reason to trip over it.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."	      - Noam Chomsky