Subject: Re: Default rune widths for 8-bit characters
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/09/2007 12:09:15
On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 09:19:17PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> The texts all come from the message file - so are known to be printable.

We have basically four ways to solve this:

 - use a non-WCHAR enabled libcurses variant for sysinst
   (sounds good as long as we don't have wide char based
   sysinst translations - which I think we *should* have)

 - do the changes Julian suggested in general

 - or: do the changes only in a special runetable.c compiled into
   the crunched sysinst (where we know the usage is ok)

Or the hardest (but probably most correct) solution:

 - compile the crunched sysinst as dynamic binary, add ld.elf_so and proper
   locale files to the ramdisk image, and have the translations set LC_CTYPE
   properly for the charset they use

I'm not sure I completely understand the problems the last aproach would
cause, and we could always postpone this untill we have real use (e.g. by
a japanese sysinst translation).

Martin