Subject: Re: Automatic dump handling for swap-on-raid
To: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/21/2007 18:42:24
On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 12:32:18PM -0400, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> This sounds like the way to go, IMHO.  Something about dynamically
> calculating swap-on-raid makes me nervous ...

Well, it is not calculation of the *swap* partition, but only the dump ;-)

There is a subtle difference, between doing a script that sets up a persistent
mapping (i.e. adds the right partition to the outer disklabel) and an
extension to swapctl that finds out the mapping and creates a non-persistent
wedge and tells the kernel to use that for dumps.

The former is not always exactly possible (depending on on-disk partition
information, say if you need to round to cylinders), the latter should
always work.

But I can see how too much magic makes people nervous ;-)

Martin