Subject: Re: Automatic dump handling for swap-on-raid
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/21/2007 17:31:30
On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 02:44:49PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Martin Husemann wrote:
> >How about we add a special rc.conf variable like swap_on_raid=raid0b that
> >causes some rc.d scripts to do the proper magic:
> >Thoughts?
>
> Can we just look at the swap device, and do whatever needs doing if it's
> "raid<something>", i.e. avoid adding yet another knob that needs tuning?

I think that's too dangerous, and can get complex e.g. with nested RAID
levels.

And why do the calculations/operations on every boot?  Why not write
a script that should be run once, to assist setting up the right sdXb
partitions based on the given swap-on-raid cnofiguration?  Then the
admin should review that just once and put it in the disklabel.

	Geert