Subject: Re: NetBSD4.0 RC1, build.sh and syspkgs
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/11/2007 11:12:39
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> $ ./build.sh -T ../obj/tools -u -x syspkgs
> $ sudo ./build.sh -T ../obj/tools -u -x install=/
>
> I assume that two latest commands should create /var/db/syspkg directory
> and create full syspkg database in it.

No.  It will create syspkgs under RELEASEDIR, but it will not attempt to
install them in any way.

> At the same time DESTDIR/var/db/syspkg (filled by ./build.sh syspkgs)
> is created and seems good, at least I see several hundreds files there.

Yes, that's a side effect of how syspkgs are created.  DESTDIR is
treated rather like a scratch directory.

> It seems to me that
> ./builds.sh install=/
> should install syspkg database.

Hmm, maybe.  Let me think about that.

> Should I send-pr about this or this is a feature and I should create
> /var/db/syspkg manually (by copying DESTDIR/var/db/syspkg)?

I am not sure whether that would be useful (for example, there might be
inappropriate embedded references to the DESTDIR in the database), but
you are welcome to try.  Note that syspkgs are not supported.

--apb (Alan Barrett)