Subject: Re: pkill(1) a pid after timeout
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/27/2007 08:29:06
--f2QGlHpHGjS2mn6Y

Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 09:03:20PM -0700, Jan Schaumann wrote:
>=20
> > +.It Fl r Ar runtime
> > +Restrict matches to processes with a running time (ie wall clock) larg=
er than
> > +.Ar runtime .
>=20
> Wall clock time is just that - time by the clock on the wall. Do you want=
> match based on accumulated CPU time or time since the process started?

In this instance, I happen to need time since the process started.

> My preference is not to see pkill continue to grow more and more options
> since it can be done with scripts easily enough, but a few more useful on=
es
> seems fine. I checked Solaris, Linux and the other BSDs, and none of them
> use -r.

Well, you're the author of the program, so I think it's fair you get to
decide.  The patch I sent does what I needed; if others find it useful,
add it, else leave it out.  No hard feelings one way or the other.  :-)

-Jan

--=20
You can blame it all on the Internet.
	Larry Wall