Subject: Re: kill(1) a pid after timeout
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/25/2007 10:01:58

Michael van Elst <> wrote:
> I'd rather see a 'runsomethingwithtimeout' command than such a
> flag to kill.

Well, that solves a different problem, though.  My specific problem is
simple:  I want to kill a given process regardless of how it was started
-- whether or not via 'runsomethingwithtimeout' or by first setting a
ulimit or ... -- if it has been running longer than N seconds.

But it seems there's consensus this ought to be done in pkill(1) (if at
all) rather than kill(1).

I'll come up with a patch for pkill(1), then. :-)

Wenn ich tot bin, mir soll mal Einer mit Auferstehung oder so
kommen, ich hau ihm eine rein! (Anonym)

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (NetBSD)