Subject: Re: is syspkg alive?
To: David Young <>
From: Aleksey Cheusov <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/07/2007 16:46:58
> If programs
> in the base system, today, are only in pkgsrc, tomorrow, then I may lose
> the guaranteed ability to quickly and easily cross-build a useful NetBSD
> network appliance.  Does that help explain why I prefer a comprehensive
> base system?
pkgsrc gives you even more guaranties including guarantee that all these
tools are compiled sucessfully on different OSes, not only NetBSD.

> No, I prefer
> to build software for the Soekris using my 2.4 GHz P4, or an even faster
> computer.  Likewise, I would never build X11 on my 300 MHz UltraSparc 5,
> but I would run X11 on that machine.  Gnome or KDE, on the other hand,
> I would neiter compile nor run on any of my old/embedded and slow boxes.
Crosscompilation is in pkgsrc TODO AFAIK.
BTW, 'NetBSD team maintains tool on its CVS' != 'This tool should be a
part of NetBSD base system'
At least theoretically.

This was just a question.

IMHO right direction is to move extra things from base system to pkgsrc
after crosscompilation feature appeares.

tn3270, am-utils and even ctags - are good examples of extra things.

As far as I understand unpriviledged ./ doesn't generate syspkgs
because of lack of some functionality of pkg_* tools (permissions of
directories or...). Right?

Собрались в отпуск? Поиск туров - ТУТ: