Subject: Re: is syspkg alive? (keeping/adding things to the base vs. pkgsrc)
To: NetBSD User-Level Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/07/2007 16:21:51
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Sat_Jul__7_16:21:49_2007-1

At Fri, 6 Jul 2007 18:53:02 -0500, David Young wrote:
Subject: Re: is syspkg alive?
>=20
> With a small change of build.sh options, I can cross-build every program
> in the NetBSD base system for every architecture that NetBSD targets.
> That is a useful guarantee that our base system provides.  If programs
> in the base system, today, are only in pkgsrc, tomorrow, then I may lose
> the guaranteed ability to quickly and easily cross-build a useful NetBSD
> network appliance.  Does that help explain why I prefer a comprehensive
> base system?

That's another really good reason that needed clear voicing!  Thanks!

x11 itself is a useful example of how powerful this reason is, even for
creating NetBSD releases themselves.

Even with a dedicated build system, my own in-house support of 1.6.x on
my older sparc systems was seriously tedious, but with full cross-build
support I can now happily support them until they die or lose their
useful purposes, and I no longer need a dedicated build machine quite so
much, though having one for pkgsrc is still a big benefit.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>