Subject: Re: Adding a new options to envstat (was: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/envstat)
To: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/07/2007 07:03:31
On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:51:30PM +0200, Juan RP wrote:
> 1- They are not devices, rather they are sensors.

Not really relevant.

> 2- Two or three persons wanted to show invalid sensors by default.

Several people gave reasons why they wanted to show invalid sensors.  I
think that at least some of those would have been happy with a '-a' or
'-v' option to list them.  It would be consistent with other utilities,
I think, to have a '-q' to suppress invalid sensors or a '-a' (all) or
'-v' (verbose) to list them.

> 3- I don't want to add another flag just to make you happy.

It's reasonable to ask if others would like the same functionality and
not make any change that any random person requested.  However, a better
response might be: "Why do you think that this is something that would
be useful to more people?"

> 4- It has enough flags already.

Would it make the code more confusing?  That would be a reason (either
for not making the change or for refactoring the code some), but we
don't really have a limit on the number of flags we accept--at least
until we run out of symbols...

> 5- Have a nice day!

Not a reason.  But a nice sentiment.  :-)

I think the envsys2 changes are good, and the subsequent suggestions
make them better.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |  briggs@ninthwonder.com