Subject: Re: is syspkg alive?
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov@tut.by>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/07/2007 00:40:56
> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
 >> What is the the status of syspkg in netbsd-4 branch?
 >> What commands are intended to manipulate syspkg packages?

> You can create syspkgs via "build.sh ... syspkgs".  You can use the
> pkg_* tools to experiment with adding or removing syspkgs, but you will
> probably encounter problems.  (Use "-K /var/db/syspkg" or set PKG_DBDIR
> in the environment, to ensure that syspkgs use a separate database from
> pkgsrc pkgs.)
After

./build.sh ... build
./build.sh ... sets
./build.sh ... syspkgs
./build.sh ... install=/
etc.

there is no /var/db/syspkg directory at all.

MKUNPRIVED=yes in my mk.conf

Though DESTDIR/var/db/syspkgs seems installed properly.

I assume this is a bug.

And... It whould be great to see a manual page for syspkg
describing its usage ;)

> There is no easy way of choosing a subset of syspkgs, installing them,
> or updating them.  If you are willing to experiment and to deal with
> some small problems, it is possible to use syspkgs to set up a small
> bootable system.
IMHO NetBSD base system contains lots of rarely used things.
It can be much smaller and some things can be easily moved to pkgsrc
(even if they are developped and maintained in NetBSD CVS tree).
I repeat my question I asked previously:
is there *FORMAL CRITERIA* to include things into base system?
- tools necessary for building whole system
- tools necessary for setting up network
- tools useful for developing NetBSD itself
- at least one NetBSD developer wants it
- POSIX/SUS/... require it
- intuition ;-)
- ?

--