Subject: and i thought i didn't have a reason to be less-than-fond of
To: None <>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/28/2007 23:55:50

I'm playing with wedges, ok, great, I need to get little tidbits
of the geometry of the wedge.  This used to be done with a ioctl()
call, it was very short, simple and straightforward code.  Okay.

So, the old code is in UDFclient-0.5.5's udf_discop.c, in the
NetBSD/OpenBSD version of udf_get_partition_info().  Now I find
myself needing all the riffraff that's in src/sbin/gpt/gpt.c's
drvctl() function.  It seems like a lot of growth for something
so simple.

So, before I suggest a simple interface to get a value under some
specific property-tree path, I'd like to express my disappointment
in the ever-expanding use of proplib for things that have been done
the same more straightforward way for probably at least 10 years.

Now, on to business:
I suggest a simple interface for returning a value from a property
tree path.

	Jonathan Kollasch

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (NetBSD)