Subject: Re: /etc/services entries (was: CVS commit: src/etc)
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/13/2007 15:04:39
[please reply only to tech-userlevel]

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 11:06:00AM -0400, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On May 10,  8:49am, netbsd@lists.veego.de (Bernd Ernesti) wrote:
> -- Subject: /etc/services entries (was: CVS commit: src/etc)
>
> | I thought it was the consent that we would NOT add all the services over >1024
> | from this list.
>
> I don't this is the case.
>
> | Now I would get the strange ports names instead of the port number for all
> | connections and wonder what service I now use and my machine.
> |
> | This is now a 960KB file instead of the 13KB which it was before.
>
> Bring it up to tech-userlevel. It is easy enough to change.

Ok, lets see:

1. Now a lot of random ports have a name and this makes using /etc/serices
   useless, because this implies to use '-n' or whatever flag to get
   something usefull out of netstat, ...
2. The penalty to lookup such a huge file seems not worth it
3. The size of /etc increased quiet a bit
4. bin/36313 or whatever else changed

I would like to see the default /etc/services be back to how it was and
make it optional to use a big one for people who really want it.
Where it would makes sense to update the ports <1024 with the IANA list.

Bernd