Subject: Re: rc local [UPDATE]
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: None <tlaronde@polynum.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/20/2007 07:05:56
On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 01:08:26AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >>I have updated the proposal according to concerns raised:
> >>	- by Greg Troxel for the lack of consistency: no pkgsrc
> >>	  handling;
> >>	- by Joerg Sonnenberger for the handling of two services sharing
> >>	  the same basename.
> >>
> >>Hence I have extended the logic to add:
> >>	/etc/rc.d.pkgsrc/
> >>	/etc/rc.defaults.pkgsrc
>
> "and where do I put my rc.d scripts for non-pkgsrc things"?

In /etc/rc.d.local/ as explained in the [initial] proposal :) These are
supplementary to the .local versions.

> (I'm not really fond of this... I think everyone can realize this by
> setting rc_rcorder_flags if they need it...)

The proposal, as explained, addresses the possible problems arising when
using postinstall(8) (if NetBSD is the only user of /etc/rc.d/, it can
add or suppress things here without problem).

It can give a standard way for pkgsrc stuff adding (at the moment, IMHO,
it is a bit fuzzy).

It allows domain wide configuration, with only site (this very node
specifics) being put in /etc/rc.conf.

The message is not as long to read as it may seem, since a blunder on my
part has included as a comment the previous diffs as well as, attached,
the new ones.

The explanations are something like 5k.

Please read the whole stuff ;)
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/