Subject: Re: rc local [patches]
To: Thierry Laronde <tlaronde@polynum.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/18/2007 19:30:12
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Sun_Mar_18_19:30:10_2007-1

At Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:26:06 +0100,
tlaronde@polynum.com wrote:
>=20
> You've got a point here since, for example, I do not like the rc.d/pgsql
> script provided by pkgsrc and add my own.

Fix your pkgsrc sources then.  I.e. make sure the rc.d scripts created
by pkgsrc are what you want to use when you install them!

Note that the pkgsrc rc.d scripts are actually _installed_ into
/usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d and then, just like with all other
configuration files, are _copied_ into /etc/rc.d.  You can modify the
copy and it will not be removed by pkg_delete if you wish.

The same concept applies to totally private inventions not owned by the
system sources or by pkgsrc.  Just write a new file in /etc/rc.d, and of
course be prepared to do whatever you have to do to manage it, e.g. to
avoid clashes on upgrades, pkgsrc installs, etc., etc., etc.

In an ideal world there would be no such thing as a "local" private
script -- you'd create a package and use the pkg_* tools to manage all
add-on software.  Eventually that should integrate well with syspkgs
too.

>   So merging all in
> /etc/rc.d.local will lead to the same hiatus: is this a "local" script
> or a pkgsrc one, and can I allow pkgsrc to overwrite or not?

If you would stop trying to segregate rc.d scripts in to pointless
multiple separate directories by some artificial and superficial form of
classification then you wouldn't have to worry about it at all.

BTW, pkgsrc will not overwrite an existing /etc/rc.d script -- it will
assume it is a locally modified script and remind you that the original
for the newly installed package is in /usr/share/examples/rc.d

> It would be cleaner to have also a /etc/rc.d.pksrc.

No, _really_, it would not.

K.I.S.S.  Please.  One directory for all start/stop scripts!

>  But won't people
> find that this is "too much"?

WAY too much!  :-)

--=20