Subject: Re: rc local [patches]
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
From: None <tlaronde@polynum.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/18/2007 18:02:57
On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 04:41:01PM +0000, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
> > This seems like a reasonable step, even though it fails to address
> > site and pkgsrc.  Perhaps /etc/rc.d.pkgsrc should also exist, with
> > pkgsrc putting rc.d scripts there.
>
> since /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* can't be used because that directory might not
> exist until it is mounted (mountcritlocal? mountcritremote?), obviously
> none of the pkgsrc additions can be used before then either..
>
> would it be more useful to add options to rcorder:
>
> 	-h name		halt at <name>
> 	-r name		resume from <name>
>
> so that, for example we could pause and rescan the list, thus:
> [..]

That could be an option too. But since mountcrit* do exist, and since,
IMHO, it is more simple, still for an administration point of view, to
have everything put under /etc, and clearly segregate from NetBSD
provided base, and other additions.

Furthermore, pkgsrc provided rc.d/ scripts should probably take into
account the fact that they, obviously, need to run once the binaries
are available, i.e. use the rc keywords to ensure the correct order.

Cheers,
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/