Subject: Re: rc local [patches]
To: Iain Hibbert <>
From: None <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/18/2007 18:02:57
On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 04:41:01PM +0000, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > This seems like a reasonable step, even though it fails to address
> > site and pkgsrc.  Perhaps /etc/rc.d.pkgsrc should also exist, with
> > pkgsrc putting rc.d scripts there.
> since /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* can't be used because that directory might not
> exist until it is mounted (mountcritlocal? mountcritremote?), obviously
> none of the pkgsrc additions can be used before then either..
> would it be more useful to add options to rcorder:
> 	-h name		halt at <name>
> 	-r name		resume from <name>
> so that, for example we could pause and rescan the list, thus:
> [..]

That could be an option too. But since mountcrit* do exist, and since,
IMHO, it is more simple, still for an administration point of view, to
have everything put under /etc, and clearly segregate from NetBSD
provided base, and other additions.

Furthermore, pkgsrc provided rc.d/ scripts should probably take into
account the fact that they, obviously, need to run once the binaries
are available, i.e. use the rc keywords to ensure the correct order.

Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>