Subject: Re: UTF-8 on console?
To: Thomas Klausner <>
From: Johann Franz <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/16/2007 09:51:27

Guten Morgen!=20
Sorry I forgot to CC my last mail.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:15:58AM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Well, it doesn't. I set up my environment so that it displays everything
> fine in an UTF-8 enabled terminal (xterm or mlterm), but on the console
> I see two "A" and a diamond symbol where I would expect an "=E4".

Oh pardon, I didn't outline that, unfortunately, only your ASCII characters=
 will work in console, namely:

=2E.because they overlap in both UTF-8 and ISO-8859 (or similar).

> Please send me more details about your setup.
> My test case is:
> bash
> export LC_CTYPE=3Dde_DE.UTF-8
> less "a file encoded in UTF-8"

less is linked against libtermcap and libc, but IFAICT they do not provide =
for UTF-8.
My setup you can find here ->

What's with this uwscons thingie, any idea where to get it?

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (NetBSD)