Subject: Re: /dev/MAKEDEV and mknod -[rR]
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/25/2007 04:46:24
>> [...] with root on an NFS server running an OS that doesn't have -r
>> or -R options to mknod.
> In which case it is likely to get the mapping from major:minor to a
> single integer wrong!

As long as its NFS server and its local mknod use the same mapping, I
don't see the problem.  (Unless it uses NFSv2, in which case I think
the local mknod and the NFS client on the diskless machine would have
to match; the server is documented as doing v3, though I haven't
actually snooped the wire to be certain that's what it's using.)

Have I missed something?  That would certainly be possible.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign