Subject: Re: bashism for ksh
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/21/2007 17:11:01
At Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:53:37 -0600 (CST),
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I think we should extend ksh. As it is now, we don't have a good shell for
> using the command line like tcsh or bash or zsh in base.

Please let us not extend ksh beyond keeping it as compatible as possible
with AT&T ksh.

If you want a new shell with different features then, IMHO, it needs a
new name.

(Perhaps NetBSD should have kept the name /bin/pdksh instead of giving
it a name that clashes with something else too.)

> I use ksh mainly for a year or so, but before I used bash for several
> years. ksh has a lot usability problems (such as can't see what I am
> typing on long lines) versus bash in my opinion.

Well the "editing long lines" issues are bugs, not feature problems.  :-)

The some of those problems seem to be fixed on netbsd-4 already though,
but not if there are tabs expanded in the text, that still messes up.....

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>