Subject: Re: rc.subr don't check rcvar YES except at boot/shutdown
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/13/2007 09:24:38
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 03:14:03PM +0100, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 08:11:42AM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > What if we compromised by having "foo start" when run not at boot
> > emit a message that says "service foo configured off in rc.conf,
> > use 'forcestart' if you really mean to run it"?
>
> Good enough for me. Probably even better.

I have actually almost put those changes together in the past.  I
like having a separate verb to start or stop services that are
configured off, but I have found that if I'm in a hurry, I may well
miss the fact that it didn't start or stop something--no error, no
fail.  So a simple reminder would be perfect for me.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |  briggs@ninthwonder.com