Subject: Re: rc.subr don't check rcvar YES except at boot/shutdown
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/13/2007 08:11:42
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:56:25AM +0100, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 11:20:10AM -0600, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > As discussed in December and January, here are a few patches (including
> > for man page) so rc.subr doesn't check rcvar for YES except at
> > boot/shutdown.
>
> Sounds good to me.

I don't like this.  I don't want services started on systems where I
have explicitly configured them off in rc.conf just because some other
administrator happened to log in and type "foo start".  I like it that
if the service is configured off, it's necessary to use a special verb
to force it to run.

What if we compromised by having "foo start" when run not at boot
emit a message that says "service foo configured off in rc.conf,
use 'forcestart' if you really mean to run it"?

--
Thor Lancelot Simon	                               tls@rek.tjls.com
  "All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all