Subject: Re: rc.subr don't check rcvar YES except at boot/shutdown
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Luke Mewburn <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/13/2007 10:57:14

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 12:29:23AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
  | On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Luke Mewburn wrote:
  | >I understand the argument about the behaviour being closer to what
  | >(Linux) sysadmins expect, but don't forget that such Linux systems
  | >usually don't install the rc.d script for an uninstalled service,
  | >and they usually automatically start and enable a service upon
  | >installation.
  | Um, there's also those Solaris (and possibly other System V) admins out=
  | there that would also appreciate 'start'/'stop' just doing that.

In NetBSD, the (base system) rc.d scripts are always available,
whether or not the service has been enabled by the sysadmin.

In Solaris, the init.d scripts for disabled services don't exist;
the sysadmin removes the link.

In Linux, the init.d scripts for disabled services don't exist;
the sysadmin won't have had them installed by the package
management system.

So, I don't feel that your comparison isn't 100% relevant.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (NetBSD)