Subject: Re: rc.subr don't check rcvar YES except at boot/shutdown
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/13/2007 00:29:23
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> I understand the argument about the behaviour being closer to what
> (Linux) sysadmins expect, but don't forget that such Linux systems
> usually don't install the rc.d script for an uninstalled service,
> and they usually automatically start and enable a service upon
> installation.

Um, there's also those Solaris (and possibly other System V) admins out
there that would also appreciate 'start'/'stop' just doing that.

FWIW, Solaris scripts usually check if the needed configuration is
available before actually firing up the service. (e.g. sendmail checks if
/etc/sendmail.cf is there, etc.).

I think we do this with required_files settings already.

  - Hubert
    (personally liking the proposed change)