Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.bin/find
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/08/2007 14:03:24
> -delete (which maybe ought to have a different name, except for prior
> art from FreeBSD) exists to minimize a specific race condition
> opportunity because pipes pass filenames, not filehandles.

Perhaps this is what needs to change.  Or to put it perhaps more
accurately, perhaps this would be a good opportunity for improvement.
(I'm not sure how to make passing typed data through something like a
pipe work sensibly.  But I think it would be an interesting thing to
experiment with.  I don't see that putting support for that into find
and xargs (and possibly rm) would be that much worse than the current
special-case code in find alone.)

Of course, this would be an open research question more than something
to do this week, and thus is mostly orthogonal to the question of what,
if anything, to do with -rm and -delete in find.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign