Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.bin/find
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: David Maxwell <david@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/08/2007 15:34:29
On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 03:02:08PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> >Anyway, this is Unix -- we don't "del file" or "delete file", we
> >"rm file"...
>
> If this is Unix, we already have one command to rm files, and it does its
> job pretty well.

Agreed. Do one thing, do it well, and count on pipes for nicely
combining commands.

-delete (which maybe ought to have a different name, except for prior
art from FreeBSD) exists to minimize a specific race condition
opportunity because pipes pass filenames, not filehandles.

Please review "cat -v Considered Harmful".

If you don't spend energy getting what you want,
        You'll have to spend it dealing with what you get.
                                              - Unknown