Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.bin/find
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/08/2007 22:47:15
      "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> said:

>>> What do you think of as the difference?

>> For example, "find /usr/src -rm" just doesn't work.

> The man page seems to imply that find /usr/src -delete should
> work. Perhaps the documentation needs to be fixed.

Yes, this man page is not accurate.

> 		It will not attempt to delete a filename with a ``''
>		character in its pathname relative to ``''.  for
>		security reasons.

This formatting is wrong.
Corresponding FreeBSD man page is:

		It will not attempt to delete a filename with a ``/''
		character in its pathname relative to ``.'' for
		security  reasons.

> That doesn't really describe what is wrong with find /usr/src -delete

Anyway, is this behavior what you expect by "find /usr/src -rm"?
I don't think so.
It will abort with the following message:

find: -rm: /usr/src: relative path potentially not safe

> Anyway, this is Unix -- we don't "del file" or "delete file", we
> "rm file"...

That's exactly why I don't prefer "-rm" for this option.
If it's "-rm", "find /usr/src -rm" should work.
--
soda