Subject: Importing jemalloc
To: None <>
From: Andrew Doran <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/21/2007 05:09:03

I ported FreeBSD's new malloc code (jemalloc) to NetBSD's libc. The main
advantage this brings is significantly reduced contention for multi-threaded
programs that use malloc heavily.

For single threaded programs, it seems that jemalloc might have lower or
comparable CPU and memory footprints when compared against phkmalloc. There
is a paper at the URL below. If you go up a directory or two, there are more
interesting files.

FreeBSD has been running with this allocator for quite a while now. After
fixing a bug in lint I can successfully build userland and a kernel on i386.
A build using both of those new builds works fine (heh), and the multi-
threaded tests I have tried seem OK. I'll be doing a few basic tests to
verify that it compares well to phkmalloc on NetBSD when I get a chance.

Any objections to importing this?