Subject: Re: com on bluetooth
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/18/2007 07:53:31
--kkRamCq5m5VQq0L6

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:47:52AM +0000, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> (probably this is a tech-userlevel issue, please continue
> there..)

ok, tech-kern removed.

> > Is there something to do the reverse, so that NetBSD can
> > offer an SPP service to another bluetooth client?  The
> > sync interface of my phone works this way: you tickle one
> > of its SPP's and it disconnects and tries to make an SPP
> > connection back to you, expecting to find PPP running
> > there..
>=20
> What sync software would you like to use?  I confess I don't
> know much about that, is it possible that the phone doesn't
> really expect to find a PPP interface to do the sync?

it's not actually the sync aspect i'm most keen to use, I have that
mostly covered already via obex. But in any case, it is PPP: the
windows equivalent acts like a bluetooth access point, and the phone
then uses the internet via bt rather than gprs, and syncml over tcp.

I haven't been able to get the other direction working, fwiw.  While
RFCOMM to other devices like the gps works, trying to use the phone's
SPP like a modem doesn't - I get a connection, but just echoes of
whatever I type and no other response to AT commands, etc. I need to
resort to irda for that.

> It is not difficult to write something that will listen on a
> RFCOMM channel (and register with SDP server), maybe
> rfcomm_sppd should be able to handle something like that..=20

That would be great, and have symmetry with the HF/HSET case for audio
in each direction.

> there is a program in FreeBSD called rfcomm_pppd that does
> handle this kind of thing for certain phones, but I didn't
> port it because it seemed more useful for their user-ppp
> daemon.

Ahah. The doco for this even mentions the quirky 'callback' behaviour
of this phone (p900).  This does seem like a more particular bit of
glue for invoking that program, a more generic SPP listener that just
made the connection appear on a pty would be fine for me.

--
Dan.

--kkRamCq5m5VQq0L6

--kkRamCq5m5VQq0L6--