Subject: Re: proplib(3) in i386 bootstrap
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: SODA Noriyuki <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/11/2007 01:00:22
      der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> said:

>> How do you run bootconf at the boot prompt?

> 	The same way you would run a text editor: you don't.  So what's
> 	the difference?

Well, I guess I talked in too roundabout way.

What I meant was:

	There is no way to run such utility in the boot prompt.
	So, unless we force our users to use a syntax like
	prompt, using a syntax like "boot hd0a:/netbsd" in both
	the boot prompt and the config file is the best way.
	(And of course, we shouldn't force our users to use such

Of course, we can use "boot hd0a:/netbsd" in the boot prompt,
config file, but there is no merit to do so.
Because the reason why mjf wanted to use the proplib syntax for the
config file was to avoid a custom parser, but such parser is
necessary for the boot prompt anyway.