Subject: Re: proplib(3) in i386 bootstrap
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/10/2007 10:42:59
>>> How do you run your "bootconf" utility at the boot prompt?
>> The same way you would run a text editor to edit your preferred
>> configuration file.
> What we are talking here is the command syntax of the NetBSD boot
> loader.

That wasn't what I thought we were talking about; I thought we were
talking about the syntax stored in a configuration file for it (which
does not have to be the same as the command-line syntax).

> We cannot run any text editor, as well as the "bootconf" utility at
> the boot prompt.

Exactly.

I guess I was too brief.  How does having to use a special-purpose
utility instead of a text editor to edit it make any difference?  You
can't do either one from the boot prompt.  Perhaps I should have
written something more like

	> How do you run bootconf at the boot prompt?
	The same way you would run a text editor: you don't.  So what's
	the difference?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign