Subject: Re: 'MAKEDEV: ses0: unknown device' on several platforms
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/09/2007 18:23:43
--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 09:46:40PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>=20
> I tried upgrading my shark today, and at the end of etcupdate got:
>=20
> 	Do you want to rebuild the device nodes in /dev? (y/[n]) y
> 	./MAKEDEV: ses0: unknown device
> 	./MAKEDEV: ses1: unknown device
> 	./MAKEDEV: ses2: unknown device
> 	./MAKEDEV: ses3: unknown device
>=20
> Digging a bit, it seems that a line was added to src/etc/MAKEDEV.tmpl tha=
t=20
> unconditionally creates the ses0 to ses3 devices on all platforms (as=20
> opposed to only creating them where ses(4) actually exist, as defined by=
=20
> src/sys/arch/*/conf/majors.*). This happened in light of PR 26511.
>=20
> I see two solutions for this:
> A) remove the 'makedev ses0 ...' line from src/etc/MAKEDEV.templ and
>    add it to all the src/etc/etc.*/MAKEDEV.conf that have 'ses' in
>    src/sys/arch/*/conf/majors.*
> B) move 'ses' from all the src/sys/arch/*/conf/majors.* files to
>    src/sys/conf/majors.
>=20
> Seeing that all the major numbers are different on all platforms, solutio=
n=20
> A) seems to be the right thing here.  The patch below makes that change.
>=20
> Any comments?

I think (B) is also wrong as not all ports necessarily support scsi cards,=
=20
so the SCSI devices have to be per-port. Yeah, I am having a hard time=20
imagining a port w/o SCSI, but I think some of the older hardware options=
=20
didn't have it.

It'd be neat if we could have some sort of programatic check. Like "Add
this if there's an entry for ses in conf/majors.*". It'd give us a much
cleaner, across-the-board experience. I however don't have time to do it,
so please commit this diff rather than not do something because it isn't
the ideal I just said. :-)

Take care,

Bill

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy