Subject: Re: admin script for ipfilter
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/06/2007 10:13:12
On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Darren Reed wrote:

> > $ /etc/rc.d/inetd status
> >
> > $ /etc/rc.d/inetd onestatus
> > inetd is running as pid 9511.
>
> What I don't like about this is you have to interpret from the
> output of two different commands what the real condition is.
>
> The blank output from "status" tells me nothing.

I agree. I don't like it either. In another mail in this thread I said
when we run any rc.d script it should be enabled (like "one")
automatically. (Others have said the same.)

> I want to see something like this:
>
> $ rcadmin inetd status
> disabled but is running as pid 9511.
>
> This is (I believe) perfectly clear output that requires no interpretation.

Looks good to me. "/etc/rc.d/inetd status" should say the same.

If nobody beats me to it, I may code this up in a few days. (Based on the
ideas from my previous email which I don't think I got any feedback on.)

By the way, I also use NetBSD's rc.subr and rc.d system on non-BSDs.