Subject: Re: admin script for ipfilter
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/29/2006 23:56:14
On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 08:37:44PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Darren Reed wrote:
> >I'm also not convinced that chkconfig does enough of what I want.
>
> There are two ways to find out: i list what chkconfig does, and you say
> what's missing, or you say what you want, and then we can see if we find
> something that fits in. Personally I'd prefer the second approach.
>
> (In other words: what else between disabling/enabling services without
> remembering a pathname and manually frobbing with a single config file is
> on the list? If you put 'handle pkgsrc packages' on the list, we'll have
> to figure out how that currently works - pkgsrc has a bunch of knobs
> there already...)

I want "it" to tell me if the service is disabled but the processes or
whatever are actually active/running and if it is enabled but not active
or running or whatever.

Linux either does:

chkconfig -s ipfilter 2345
chkconfig --level 2345 ipfilter on

We dont have run levels in NetBSD so I can't see why we should use
chkconfig.  I think it would be worse to have a tool with the same
name but working differently than a different named tool (rcadmin)
that functioned in a manner specific to rc.d.  Having a chkconfig
in NetBSD that was similar but different will just lead to confusion
when you have to use both NetBSD AND Linux.

Darren