Subject: Re: admin script for ipfilter
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/28/2006 00:56:45
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Darren Reed wrote:
>> Seconded. Darren, could you ellaborate, please?
>
> If "rcadmin" was to be committed, part of its purpose would be to
> search the rc.d directories for "foo", such that "rcadmin enable foo"
> would work if foo is in /etc/rc.d or /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d or...(it doesn't
> do that yet.)
>
> The name of the game is to make the interface to using the scripts
> something else so that you don't need to know the name of the script
> or its location, just the the name of the service.

So the point is to add a second interface to disable/enable services,
besides editing /etc/rc.conf, that keeps state in single files (as already
provided by the rc.subr framework) and that prevents users from knowing
directory/path data?

The question coming to my mind would be "what's wrong with putting
ipfilter=yes into /etc/rc.conf" - what is it?

  - Hubert (conservative old fart)