Subject: Re: admin script for ipfilter
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/27/2006 21:09:40
* On 2006-12-27 at 17:07 GMT, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>
> > We should make it so that "status" and "enable" don't need to be
> > prefixed with "one" if the rc.d script is not enabled.
>
> while talking about wishes: I always wanted 'sh /etc/rc.d/foo start'
> to do just that, regardless if i have foo=yes in /etc/rc.conf or
> not. A possible way to implement that would be to only check the
> variable on bootup, e.g.  via a new keyword 'bootstart' or even
> 'boot' instead of 'start'.

Conversely, that '/etc/rc.d/foo stop' stops the service as well,
regardless of whether it is enabled in rc.conf or not (something I
always considered one of the best examples of how to break POLA).

--
Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project
http://www.perkin.org.uk/                       http://www.netbsd.org/