Subject: Re: admin script for ipfilter
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/27/2006 10:04:11
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Darren Reed wrote:

> But in doing it, it also raised some questions:
> - do all scripts support "start" ?
> - do all scripts support "stop" ?
> - do all scripts support "restart" ?
> (ie. can you have a script that only does "start" or similar)

I think they all support them ... depending on definition of "support" :)

See /etc/rc.d/motd which has:

stop_cmd=":"

So "/etc/rc.d/motd stop" does nothing. And "restart" is defined in rc.subr
but can be overridden with defining restart_cmd.

No comments about the rest yet. It would be good to have a toggle or turn
off or on option. It seems like I saw that before. And being able to add
more status output seems to have been proposed before (but differently).