Subject: Re: tgetstr bug
To: Valeriy E. Ushakov <>
From: Thomas Dickey <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/17/2006 06:52:20

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 09:34:39AM +0000, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> Christos Zoulas <> wrote:
> > By making tgetstr(id, NULL) work, we are encouraging non-portable
> > behavior.
> Hmm, why is that non-portable?  I read TOG text as that tgetstr
> returns the capability *and*, if area is not null, also copies the
> capability string into the area.

That's the obvious (and predominant) interpretation.

Of course any comments pointing to TOG should take into account the
fact that they're describing the termcap interface as a conversion
aid, and have in mind characteristics of the underlying terminfo
interface rather than some legacy implementation whose design
features have diverged from the original termcap.

Thomas E. Dickey

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (SunOS)
Comment: For info see