Subject: Re: .tar.gz archives for NetBSD user space
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/16/2006 09:34:29
> I would like to create pkgsrc packages for some of NetBSD user space
> utilities.

Sounds fine.

> But I cannot find archives for them at NetBSD ftp site.

Someone has to volunteer to do this.

> It will be ideal if NetBSD team provide something like this:
> ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/utils/netbsd-grep-2.0.0.tar.bz
> ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/utils/netbsd-grep-2.0.1.tar.bz
> ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/utils/netbsd-grep-2.1.0.tar.bz
> ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/utils/netbsd-awk-2.0.0.tar.bz
> ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/utils/netbsd-awk-2.0.1.tar.bz

What do these numbers mean? The NetBSD release version?

I was thinking there was already a package of NetBSD's own grep, but I
don't see it.

NetBSD's official grep if from GNU. Use pkgsrc/sysutils/coreutils version
of grep.  (src/usr.bin/grep is available but not official yet.)

NetBSD's official awk is nawk (version 20050424) which is also in
pkgsrc/lang/nawk/.

> Is it possible? Or is there more elegant way to download sources
> other than file by file using cvs?

Usually someone grabs some snapshot of the source. They customize to make
it easily buildable on other platforms and/or provide installation
documentation. Give it some version. And tar it up. There are examples in
our pkgsrc.