Subject: Re: missing #include ?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/10/2006 20:16:25
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:58:29 +0100 (CET)
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > Maybe this time the change will happen.  Here is a proposed change.
>
> While I'm all for this, it would be nice to know
>
>   * how other OSs handle this

For interest possibly but not for a ruling.

>   * what impact this has on the NetBSD headers - i.e. you'll probably have
>     to go and look through all the headers(!) and come up with a patch
>     to implement this.

Why?  The change I proposed is to the style guide.  All  it means is
that from now on we should watch this and, if someone sees a situation
like the one that started this thread, they can now just go ahead and
fix it based on the style guide.  I would hope that we aren't prevented
from making style changes just because we can't guarantee that we have
changed every existing file to match in the same commit.

>     One script that I've written long ago (and lost) takes every file in
>     /usr/include, passes it through gcc and sees if it compiles or failes.
>     Upon failure, something's probably missing.
>
> I guess a change like this would need core's blessing.

Only if we can't come to a concensus without them.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/